Sunday, August 17, 2003

Practicing with a whip is so much fun: the SNAP! at the end of a correctly aligned strike is impossibly congratulatory. I get out at least once a week with my (six foot) nylon whip, but I'm feeling a bit constrained with it right now. I'm chaining five or six differently directed attacks together, and getting good power and precision into them much of the time. There's just not that much more for me to do, particularly since I'm more interested in the self-defense aspects of flexible weapons; I practice with my belt after I've finished with the whip.

The sjambok is still a favorite of mine, and I combine its practice with fencing. The fencing footwork is partially applicable to all martial movement, and the lunge, I've found, is almost never expected by martial artists who haven't studied fencing themselves. Since I've neglected my fencing for a few years, my lunge is slow and predictable, but when I get it back to full speed, I'll enjoy myself greatly in sparring. Especially when I add in the fencing "fakes", which delude the opponent into moving the wrong way. They need to be adapted to this purpose, of course, and one can't move the precise motions from fencing to bare-handed sparring, but 'twill serve.

My short staff is the most often absent of my weapons. I'm learning xing-yi staff, which is entirely different from the other styles I've encountered. Less brutal, and pleasanter to watch. I'm not deriding it, or commenting on its effectiveness, but it's composed of more graceful techniques. I still practice, but only when I've scheduled it for myself. On a whim, I'm much more likely to grab some other implement of damage.

The sticks get a lot of play, against air or trees or (when no one's around to yell at me) the heavy bag. My siniwallis are becoming much more controlled, and my strikes have more power behind them. Sticks are the most practical of the weapons with which I practice; there's always something around one can use like a truncheon.

The cane is fun, but without a partner, I'm using it more or less just like a stick, or practicing my takedowns on an unsuspecting tree--which nevertheless resists them unmoving. There's little satisfaction to tripping air, or to tugging hopelessly on the trunk of an immutable juniper. I need, in short, a new toy. I'm thinking something sharp.