Friday, April 20, 2007

My pre-emptive last word about the 2008 election:
CLEON (putting down the bench for DEMOS) Look! I am the first to bring you a seat.

SAUSAGE-SELLER And I a table. (He places his sausage-tray in front of DEMOS.)

CLEON Wait, here is a cake kneaded of Pylos barley.

SAUSAGE-SELLER Here are crusts, which the ivory hand of the goddess has hallowed.

DEMOS Oh! Mighty Athene! How large are your fingers!

CLEON This is pea-soup, as exquisite as it is fine; Pallas the victorious goddess at Pylos is the one who crushed the peas herself.

SAUSAGE-SELLER Oh, Demos! the goddess watches over you; she is stretching forth over your head.... a stew-pan full of broth.

DEMOS And should we still be dwelling in this city without this protecting stew-pan?

CLEON Here are some fish, given to you by her who is the terror of our foes.

SAUSAGE-SELLER The daughter of the mightiest of the gods sends you this meat cooked in its own gravy, along with this dish of tripe and some paunch.

DEMOS That's to thank me for the peplus I offered to her; good.

CLEON The goddess with the terrible plume invites you to eat this long cake; you will row the harder on it.

SAUSAGE-SELLER Take this also.

DEMOS And what shall I do with this tripe?

SAUSAGE-SELLER She sends it you to belly out your galleys, for she is always showing her kindly anxiety for our fleet. Now drink this drink composed of three parts of water to two of wine.

DEMOS Ah! what delicious wine, and how well it stands the water.

SAUSAGE-SELLER The goddess who came from the head of Zeus mixed this liquor with her own hands.

CLEON Hold, here is a piece of good rich cake.

SAUSAGE-SELLER But I offer you an entire cake.

CLEON But you cannot offer him stewed hare as I do.

SAUSAGE-SELLER (aside) Ah! great gods! stewed hare! where shall I find it? Oh! brain of mine, devise some trick!

3 comments:

Tat said...

Are you sure it is not "preemptive one-before-last"? Or pre-preliminary?

Although the scene looks universal enough to pass for all elections, everywhere. And I wish I could say it's only limited to a certain party' tactics.

Odious said...

The only thing that's changed is that back then, people knew when they were being bought.

Moro Rogers said...

...If Giuliani gets the nomination I think I'll vote for a cake.=p