Sunday, May 23, 2010

Strangely fascinating (how many posts do we begin that way?) reading:

A

TREATISE

ON

ADULTERATIONS OF FOOD,

AND CULINARY POISONS.

EXHIBITING

The Fraudulent Sophistications of

BREAD, BEER, WINE, SPIRITOUS LIQUORS, TEA, COFFEE, CREAM, CONFECTIONERY, VINEGAR, MUSTARD, PEPPER, CHEESE, OLIVE OIL, PICKLES,

AND OTHER ARTICLES EMPLOYED IN DOMESTIC ECONOMY.

AND

METHODS OF DETECTING THEM.

I had known about the carving of wooden nutmegs, but much of this was a revelation to me, particularly the dangers of Poisonous Cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew of falsifying paprika with powdered brick dust - which is not listed in the treatise.

Odious, after a long delay (...of 4 years...) I finally added your blog on my blogroll.

Tatyana

http://creakypavillion.wordpress.com/2010/05/19/another-blogroll-addition/

Odious said...

I am tremendously flattered, and will try to post more than once a lunar cycle.