Wednesday, January 28, 2004

I have only just become aware that Maurice Sendak, author and illustrator of children's books, has a substantial connection to the world of opera. I've known for some time that Where the Wild Things Are and Higgledy Piggledy Pop were set as short operas with music by Oliver Knussen, though I have not yet had the pleasure of hearing these works. But Sendak is also something of a force in the world of opera production, and I like what little I've seen of his designs immensely. Here's an illustration from his designs for Die Zauberflöte; and here's a picture of his Hansel & Gretel. Alas, I am so far unable to find any online image of his designs for Prokofiev's Love for Three Oranges.

Of a similar appeal is this die-cut toy theatre, with sets, props, and characters, based on Edward Gorey's production of Dracula (it was my Christmas gift to Odious). I am not in the least surprised that Renfield wears Gorey's "white shoes intended for tennis"; I only wonder that I hadn't realized it earlier.