Saturday, May 28, 2005

The idea that kitchen knives might be banned as potential weapons was, at one time, parody. Sadly, that farce has begun its slow evolution into policy.

This is not the first vilification of knives. After James Bowie's famous Duel on the Sandbar, his weapon was denounced as far too dangerous. A pistol, it was argued, might miss; a sword could be parried; but there was no defense against Jim Bowie's knife.

I mention all of this as prelude to the 6 1/2 foot folding knife I found trying to learn more about the attempt to ban bowie knives. Really, the absurdity of a ban on kitchen knives is so evident that I can't think of anything political to say.

I do wonder, though, if this future ban will apply to the kirpan which Sikhs wear. If so, I see serious conflict ahead. And I, for one, know enough history to know not to mess with the Sikhs.

No comments: