Monday, May 22, 2006

Languages that look like Martian

As Spaceman Spiff and any schoolboy are well aware, the main distinguishing features of such languages are an abundance of Qs, Xs and appalling consonent clusters. Blatantly foreign diacritics help too. Some of my ever-present desire for such tongues was assuaged by this press release in Mayan. But imagine my delight upon finding Triq il-Maqluba, an entire blog written in one of the best such tongues: Maltese! I find it utterly fascinating, though I don't understand a word of the language (by the by, the only form of Arabic traditionally written in the Latin alphabet). Especially fascinating is White Knight Syndrome, a rather nice sonnet in Italian, french, English, Spanish, Maltese and German. I'd quote it, but Blogger won't do the diacritics for me.


Equally intriguing, and utterly without explanation to non-speakers of Maltese is the Dino Babes poster.

Hat tips to Jabal al-Lughat.