Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I am not really here. Since we're still getting moved in, I am not in fact online. But so long as I have a reasonable facsimile of it, I shall take advantage.

Oft in times past we have posted on various aspects of self-defense. Sticks, canes, crochet-hooks, knives: for each weapon there is a defense. For each defense there exists a counter. But when a defense cannot be overcome, that is called perfection:
Mugger: (Waving it under his nose) You know what this is?

Hugh: Yes. I do actually. Sweet of you to try and help me
out, but I do actually know what it is.

Mugger: Right. Wallet.

Hugh: Wall ... oh for heaven's sake you're mugging me.

Mugger: That's right.

Hugh: Oh, now you've ... oh. Of all the people here...you've picked on little old me. I don't know what to say. I think I'm going to cry.
Even the Greeks' relentless search for excellence in all things could lead them no further down the martial path than eironeia.