Saturday, August 20, 2005

Rightly thinking that it was the sort of thing which would intrigue me, Peculiar sent me this:
POEME EN LANGUE INCONNUE.

Cerdis zerom deronty toulpinye,
Purois harlins linor orifieux,
Tictic falo mien estolieux,
Eulfiditons lafar relonglotye.

Gerefeluz tourdom redassinye;
Ervidion tecar doludrieux,
Gesdoliou nerset bacincieux,
Arlas destol osart lurafirie.

Tast derurly tast qu'ent derontrian,
Tast deportulast fal min adian,
Tast tast causus renula dulpissoitre,

Ladimirail reledra survioux,
C'est mon secret ma Mignonne aux yeux doux,
Qu'autre que toy ne sauroit reconnoistre.

—Marc Papillon, seigneur de Lasphrise (1597)
From languagehat.

My brain kept me up at night worrying at it. I keep wanting to make little bits of it make sense, but without getting at least a stanza, I can't get any sense of what's going on. Cerdis zerom: Sur dix héroes? One commentator at languagehat suggests "Ceux d'Izere on diront tous lapins y est".

It doesn't help that the mathematical portion of my mind keeping telling me to analyse it according to the occurence of phonemes.

No comments: