Sunday, December 17, 2006

There are certainly things to love about New Mexico, and the sunsets are high on the list. The only place I've spent time whose sunsets compare to Santa Fe's is Salmon, Idaho. Driving around up there, I once saw a sky lit glowing gold from horizon to mountainous horizon, with (I'm not making this up) a double rainbow and a soaring redtail. It was unphotographable, not necessarily technically, but because on paper it would have looked like a New-Age inspirational poster. Anyway, here was tonight's offering, within walking distance of my house (click for the largest version Blogger will give us):

Fine, I admit it, I finally broke down and went digital (Canon A540, if you're dying to know). I held out for a long time in the stubborn hope that I could muster the funds for a DSLR. But frankly, I could not have made the shot above (six-shot stitched pano) with my old film SLR, much as I love it. The new one is a lot of fun, and if I'd gotten it a year ago, I'd be about $300 ahead on processing costs. Farewell film: $300 buys a damn fine week or two shooting in the wilderness.

If I was having any twinges of buyers' remorse after ordering the new camera, it was gone when Mrs. Peculiar and I fortuitously watched Born Into Brothels. Looking at some of the shots these Indian street urchins produced with cheap point-and-shoots should put any gear-head photographer to deep, deep shame. (Here they are. Some are definitely better than others, but I'm seriously envious of a few.) Sure, I'd like a wider lens, but I have no right to gripe about any reasonably functional camera.

(Incidentally, it's well worth noting that Calcutta whorehouses seem to be a much better learning and growing environment than American suburbs and schools. These kids are far nicer, cheerier and smarter than 99% of American children; I'd invite them into my house. The movie doesn't preach about this, doesn't preach about much really, which I always fear in this kind of film. It's mostly just footage of a bunch of smart kids having fun with photography.)

Enough digression. I promise not to post every consarned gorgeous sunset that comes down the pike.