Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Gentlemen:

It is not so much your insistence on my setting for you another table, in the back, unused section of the restaurant. Nor the inconvenience of running back there to get your orders, and bring your food, nor the small things, like condiments, which you seem unable to order all at once, thus entailing six trips where one might have sufficed.

It is not your lack of common courtesy, your refusal to entertain the idea of using the phrases, "Please" or "Thank you" or "If you would". It is not the noxious cigars you smoke, nor your drinking of the cheapest red wine available, which must, however, be presented as if it were our finest.

It is, gentlemen, the fact that you hold the same opinions as I do on a number of issues: but for different, irrational 'reasons'. Thus, as you hold forth on these opinions, you unwittingly denigrate them, through their association with you and such thinking.

This is the true and final reason I have rearranged my schedule so as never again to encounter you. Instead, I will be in the dojang, practicing my punches and kicks. But never fear, gentlemen, because as I work on becoming deadlier and deadlier, you will, I assure you, be on my mind.