Sunday, April 18, 2004

Well, I had meant to put up at least a couple more posts before leaving town, but affairs seem to have gotten the better of me. It didn't help that our internet chose not to work for two days. I'm hitting the road to Oregon tomorrow morning, to run the Illinois river, and begin my summer, my real life, as a raft guide. Readers who were with us last summer will remember that my computer access is very limited in the boating season, but I will do my best to post as opportunities arise. If you really miss me, well, come on a trip. I expect it to be an excellent season.
Parting at a Wine-shop in Nan-king


A wind, bringing willow-cotton, sweetens the shop,
And a girl from Wu, pouring wine, urges me to share it.
With my comrades of the city who are here to see me off;
And as each of them drains his cup, I say to him in parting,
Oh, go and ask this river running to the east
If it can travel farther than a friend's love!

--Li Po