Sunday, May 09, 2004

And speaking of Jack, who comments on Heidegger (and if you didn't know that I can bartend, well, there you are), I mean, what's the point? Being, time, die sach im selbst, fine, sure, whatever. I just want gas to cost less than $2/gallon, and for Alice to blog again. Is that too much to ask? Mais ou sont les neiges d'antan?

I mean, these bloody Universals keep springing up, and all I care about are the particulars. If you really believe that each thing has a transcenden, and that the soul is the ens quod natum est convenire cum omni ente, and it seems more and more like I do, then how are we supposed to put principles over people? Principles come and go; people are immortal. And Jack was supposed to post about how people only care about money and health, so that she and I could write scathing things about said trend. Everything's an object these days, even ourselves, and when we talk about self-improvement we've got a self in mind that would nauseate Plato. And money is the soul of everything; everything is reduced to it, so that when I say I would be happier waiting tables than playing Minesweeper for hours on end (and still not getting as good as Peculiar), people remind me that I'm making more money now. Bloody hell, people, if it were money I were after I wouldn't have fled to some damn' liberal arts college and kept dropping out. I must hold some kind of record for that. I don't listen to Mozart because it makes me smarter, for one thing because it don't. Mozart is its own reward, which is to say that there is no prize for "Most Magic Flute recordings listened to". But of course nothing, even people, can be an end in itself. We're all just genes selfishly propagating, except for the exceptions, which somehow seem far more prevalent than the rule, who give their lives for something greater, and something intangible.

The question of "Why something?" seems to me exactly the same as "Why choose something?" Nothingness is close, always, and it takes little to reach out to it. Yet here we are, and the fact that my ancestors chose Something again and again is no help for me, here and now, choosing Something.

And yet on Monday I shall get up early in order that I may RAPPORTER DE REVENU!