Saturday, May 08, 2004

I proposed some time ago that the motto for this blog be "Post drunk; publish sober". Peculiar opposed on the entirely true grounds that one or the other of these rules in invariably violated.

Bloody hell, people, what's wrong with everybody? Nobody drinks anymore, and if they do they don't end up amusing P.G. Wodehouse drunk, they start grabbing people's asses and I have to 86 them from the bar, 'cause I'm the manager and so forth, which apparently means now I have to deal with all the nonsense that previously I ignored whilst filching 20 year old port from the restaurant, but now I have to make sure that our liquor costs are below 40%, which would be fine except that the bar gives away free shots to all and sundry, and I mean, sure, I can understand the pretty girls, but the free drinks to old guys whose only talent is playing craps for cheap jewellery is beyond me: I mean really, fine, whatever, but COME ON and all of a sudden I'm wearing a tie which I bought 'specially for the stupid job which as far as I can tell consists of playing Minesweeper until someone comes crying that they had to promo a dessert and is that okay (short answer: yes. Long answer: Yes, goddammit, whatever, I don't care) and even though I look DAMFINE in my new tie, like James Bond if he were a restaurant manager, I really hate the thing, I mean, clothes that strangle you about the neck, please people, it's worse than briefs and when am I going to find the time to steal my friend's idea about writing a guide to the correct usage of commas called the Comma Sutra (hee!) and anyone that guesses which of the guidelines proposed in the proposed motto is hereby violated like a Japanese schoolgirl in Urotsukidoji gets a prize.

Bloody sobriety.

And, Jack, where's that post on Utility, capital letter and all, because frankly independent thought is not coming freely to Yours Truly?