Friday, June 24, 2005

Ankh ankh, en mitak/ Yewk er heh en heh! I should be remiss not to mention a third distinct pleasure from opera: bits of it are hilarious. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, one must have a heart of stone to listen to the Funeral of Amenhotep III without giggling. And I say this as someone who liked Akhnaten.

And not just the unintentional bits! Ariadne Auf Naxos made me snort milk out my nose the first time I heard it. (Although I have a revised version of the actual opera section. See, the original Ariadne gets so upset that she storms off in a huff, leaving only the Composer to fill the role (so the character is now a woman dressed as a boy dressed as a woman). Ariadne and the comedy are still performed simultaneously, but Zerbinetta keeps getting the Composer/Ariadne all hot and bothered, culminating in an aria in which he (the Composer) sings of love and death, but she (Zerbinetta) keeps adding words to make it absolutely filthy. Bacchus descends but is abducted by Harlequin et al. He keeps rushing onto stage trying to sing with Ariadne and getting pulled off just before they can reach musical consummation. In the end Zerbinetta has her way with the Composer on stage, thus representing the reconciliation of the tragic and comedic impulses in mankind. Harlequin et al., Bacchus, and the Music Teacher come out to form a human curtain in front of the two, and sing of this happy day, rising in volume as necessary when Zerbinetta and the Composer start making too much of a ruckus. What? I have low tastes.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a second... when you say "have an alternate version", do you mean have an alternate version? Like, on CD? Because if you do, I MUST HAVE THIS. I will lease out my liver for it. Eeeeh!

If you just meant "have an alternate version running in my head whenever I hear the proper one", all I can do is promise you patronage once I've made my millions. Freakin' rule, yo.

-- Fafner

Odious said...

It is available on LP through Knappe & Dreme, Lichfield, VA (free catalogue!). They also carry my other operas: The Swordsman, after Ellen Kushner's play of the same name, Nanki-Poo Goes to War, and Eight Drunken Djinn. My ballet, The Fighting Monks of Fu-Shan is there, as well as a handsomely bound edition of my senior essay on Montaigne.

If you do get the catalogue, I recommend Wagner's Kosmos, and Salieri's Der Böse Garten. Debussy's La Caverne de la Pythonesse is outstanding--of its kind--and no one has ever disliked Albeniz's Lancelot or his Guenevere. The libretti for these last two are much improved over that of Merlin, since he expediently stole most of them from books seven and eight of Milton's King Arthur.

When you do get your millions and become leisured, I would be more than delighted to write you an opera, build you a straw-bale house, or teach you to hit things, although I must confess that only in the last of these can I actually show any proficiency.