Thursday, June 30, 2005

I knew that Sappho poem sounded familiar, and I've finally tracked it down. It's from a collection of "Translations in Translation", poems that have been translated from their original language, and then again into another. It's quite instructive to note what is lost two steps out. In this case, the Greek was translated by the great 17th century Spanish poet, Javier Fernando del CamarĂ³n y Gamba, whose work then was translated into English by Thomas Bunt, a less-than-successful milliner.

Of Mr. Bunt's translation, one coeval commentator said, "This unlick'd Bear may speak the Spanish (I cannot know), but that he knows not Numbers, nor Taste, nor Poesy, any man may judge."

Youths pursue the clear, melodious Lyre,
Chase the sweet gifts of purple MUSES' Choir,
But my once soft body OLD AGE has racked;
And now I braid white hair that once was black.
My breath is lead, my knees now cannot bear
To dance over the earth like skipping deer.
Who would so age? Who may unaging rest?
Often I curse at this, man's Fate unblest.
Once rosy-armèd DAWN, struck down by Love,
To the World's End TITHONUS carried off.
Then lovely, young, he aged but never died,
The creaking Husband of an ageless Bride.

No comments: